Only children want to grow older. But there is a turning point in life when you don’t want to grow old but you do. Sooner or later we will someday need a nursing home to take care of us. More than half of the seniors face this decision for themselves or a loved one.
Choosing the right nursing home is challenging. Would you rely your crucial decision on promotional brochures? Or you will do your own research based on
- Where it is located?
- How about the administrators and nursing staff?
- How long do nurses spend with residents each day?
- What kind of services do they offer?
- What do nursing home surveys show?
- What kind of special care are looking for?
- What are the payment terms and conditions?
- Do they provide special care for people with dementia?
- What kind of food do they serve?
- How do you satisfy cultural and individual food preferences?
- Do they accommodate special diets?
- Can residents easily spend time outdoors?
- How do you keep residents engaged?
If you have made your mind and want to visit a nursing home. Don’t forget after the formal tour is over to pay visit to the activities room to introduce yourself to the residents and ask what it’s like for them in that place.